I'll stop pretending this isn't a New Year's resolution.


I don’t typically make New Year’s resolutions. I kind of hate them. I could go on for paragraph after paragraph about how they only set people up for failure, and how a calendar is merely a human construct, but instead I have to stop pretending that I’m not making a New Year’s resolution and admit that I have. (Also, I don’t want to start this blog by being overly negative and turn away potential readers.)

Although I wouldn’t like to admit it, I’ve made a New Year’s resolution. I’m going to start a blog and commit to it at least twice a week. I have a number of goals with it: I will document my efforts at establishing my career as a professional actor in London. I will use it to organise my thoughts in a coherent manner, and hopefully I won’t be so scatterbrained. I also want to get back into writing, since I like doing it, and seem to find too many excuses or distractions and avoid it. I think if I start a blog then at least I’m writing something and will eventually form a daily habit. And also, to avoid being entirely selfish, hopefully I will have some fun with it, so in case anyone else decides to read it, they can laugh, cry, rage along with me.

I’d like to avoid falling into that common amateur blogging trap that I always see when I browse random blogs, which is that entry dated 5 years ago saying, “Omg I know I haven’t written in this thing in like ages, but I promise I will get back to posting regular updates starting, like, tomorrow!” … and nothing since. I’d like to follow that up with a sentence on how I’m going to discipline myself to two entries a week, but I don’t think I’ve really thought that bit through. I’ll get back to you.

I am also very aware of the vast abundance of blogs out there. I sometimes wonder: what’s the point? Why is mine so special? In other words, why should you read it? (besides the fact it makes me feel special)

First and foremost, I am an actor. I feel comfortable calling myself that because I have done it professionally. There was a long time where I felt bad calling myself an actor because I hadn’t been doing anything about it. So I ended my full-time job about 7 months ago and began to focus purely on acting. Since then, I’ve been in a number of theatre shows on London’s fringe, a radio show, some student films, and an upcoming episodic made for the iPhone being called “The World’s first iPhone Series.” (More on that later.) The vast majority of it has been unpaid work, which has made it very difficult. And now that it’s a new year, I feel like I’ve put in my practice. I’ve built up my CV somewhat, and now I’m ready to break out. I feel like I definitely deserve it. And I don’t imagine myself doing anything else with my life.

So just you wait and see. Something big will happen. I’ve just turned 27 and I feel old. Right now I’m at the point in my life where something has to take off and I am very hungry for it. This is the year I will make it happen. And it’s about time.

I suppose that’s a New Year’s resolution if I’ve ever heard made one. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My inner voter turmoil

How to Survive Self-Isolation If You're an Extrovert

How young is too young to talk about gays?